Sunday, March 27, 2016

snowflake cookies



To go along with the winter Tokidoki unicorn cake that I made for my daughter's 6th birthday in my last post, I also made these snowflake cookies as the favors. She's still really into Frozen right now, so she is currently loving anything with snowflakes! Fitting, for a winter birthday!

I started with my favorite sugar cookie dough (recipe in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!), which I rolled out to about 1/8-inch thick, and then used a snowflake-shaped cookie cutter to cut out my shapes. Then I baked them at 350F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.


For the royal icing (recipe also in my book!), I only needed two colors - white, and light blue! So I outlined each cookie with stiff white icing (using a disposable pastry bag fitted with a small round tip), and then filled them in with runny white icing.


After the cookies had dried for several hours (I prefer overnight), I used stiff light blue icing (tinted with Americolor sky blue) to pipe a snowflake design on each cookie (also using a small round tip). I did a pretty common snowflake design, but you can do whatever design you like!


They came out pretty nice! And they were a good size to give out as cookie favors.


I ended up wrapping each one in a cellophane bag tied with raffia, which keeps them nice and fresh for 1-2 weeks.


I think these would also be great as cupcake toppers, or even as decorations for a "Frozen" themed cake! They would even look great on place settings at a Christmas table, similar to how I used cookies on place settings in this post!


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment