Friday, June 27, 2014

chevron "beau or bow" cake for baby gender reveal


I was first introduced to Monica a few years ago, when my friend Cindy was hosting a baby shower with Monica and they asked for my help in making red velvet cupcakes with white chocolate tiaras. Since then, I have made goodies for Monica several times! There was the piggy cake and  pool party piggy cookies that I made for her daughter's birthday one year, and also a mini Hello Kitty cake a few years ago (that I haven't yet blogged about). And a couple more goodies that I haven't yet blogged about (posts to come!)

So when she asked me to make a baby gender reveal cake for her friend who was expecting, I was excited to be a part of it! And the funnest part was that only the doctor and I knew the gender of the baby, not even the parents-to-be knew! Monica had to drop off a top-secret reveal envelope at my house, which was sealed by the doctor and never opened ... until I got my hands on it! :)


Monica's friend already knew she wanted a chocolate cake that looked like this one, except with yellow chevron instead of blue. I wasn't sure if I liked that the placement of the mustache and bow and letters were at the top of the cake instead of the middle though, so I sketched it out to help me decide.

I baked up two 8-inch homemade chocolate cakes (recipe in my new book!), and sliced them in half horizontally to give me four cake layers. Then I filled them with freshly whipped cream (tinted blue or pink based on the information in the secret envelope!), and then covered the top and sides with two coats of cream cheese buttercream.



I piped a quick shell border on the top and bottom of the cake, and then got to work piping the mustache, bow, and wording.


The final touch was piping the yellow chevron - I used a Wilton #5 tip, and just kind of did a freehand chevron design.


And then it was done! I had been a little worried about the chevron coming out crooked or uneven, but in the end I thought it looked pretty good!


The only thing I wish I could re-do was the top shell border - it was a super hot day, so my cream cheese buttercream started to melt on me! Needless to say, after a few quick pictures, the cake went back in the fridge to set!


And for the gender reveal on the inside of the cake?


It's a boy!

1 comment:

  1. Really cute. It is perfect for your preggy friends who don't know what child they'll be getting. Haha! Love that it is chocolate on the inside.

    ReplyDelete